Franklin County in Maine is one of the best places to visit when you’re in the mood for some outdoorsy fun. But where should you stay if you’re going on an extended holiday vacation? Here are some of the most highly recommended places to stay in Franklin County if you’re going to spend the night—or several nights here.
- Wilson Lake Inn. This motor inn in Wilton is nestled in a tranquil residential neighborhood by Wilson Lake, and it’s a terrific hotel for many visitors. It has 30 guest rooms including studios and 2-bedroom suites with their own full kitchen. Here the continental breakfasts are free, and for other meals many fine restaurants are just nearby. Here you can use the hotel’s canoe, kayaks, and paddle boats for free, and you can also visit Mt. Blue State Park and University of Maine Farmington.
- Colonial Valley Motel. Located in Farmington, it is right beside University of Maine at Farmington and also near local gift shops, shopping centers, and restaurants. The motel has 30 units including single and double units, all with cable TV and a Keurig with continental coffee for each guest. It offers sufficient parking space even for large vehicles, and the back of the hotel has an entrance to the snowmobile trails. Guests can also enjoy the nearby golf course, and can participate in skiing, hiking, water activities, fishing, and hunting.
We stayed at Colonial Valley Motel one year and our faucet pipe burst flooding our room. As they called in a plumber they quickly moved us and our stuff to another room to stay in. Great service!
- Mount Blue Motel. This is right beside the Colonial Valley Motel on Wilton Road in Farmington, so it offers that same proximity to the various establishments in town. The motel offers free breakfast and coffee in the lobby, and you can also use the soda machine there. Each room comes with individual heating and air conditioning, and you can enjoy the color TV, free Wi-Fi access, and complimentary soap and shampoo. You also get a foam memory mattress for your room. Parking is free as well and there’s ample space for buses and RVs. Daily housekeeping is included, and you can also rent porta-cribs, hair dryers, and ironing boards and irons. All rooms are non-smoking.
- Maine Huts and Trails. This is where lots of families come to stay when they’re in search of adventure, as they can get the “hut” that offers them the best opportunities for their favorite outdoor activities. These “huts” are actually fantastic examples of rustic lodges. They all have their own features and personalities, but they’re all spacious with vaulted ceilings, and they have gorgeous leather furniture, merrily crackling woodstoves and huge walls of windows. The modern bathrooms offer hot showers, and the bunk rooms are heated.
- Comfort Inn and Suites. If you’re in Wilton, you can do a lot worse than stay at Comfort Inn and Suites. This place has won awards for its many superb features and services. They offer hot breakfast for free, and that includes meat and eggs, bagels, hot waffles, and fresh fruits. The high speed Wi-Fi is free, and you can also avail the heated indoor pool and hot tub along with the fitness center.
So don’t limit yourself to just a few hours when you’re here. Pick among these great places to stay in Franklin County and enjoy days of unbridled outdoor fun!